Friday, November 9, 2012

Pennant Banner

Cannot believe Christmas is just around the corner! I know, I know, Thanksgiving first! But, it's sooo close!!

I've been working on a cookie decorating Christmas party for my nieces, Madi & Tatum, that I'll be sharing photos of later on. Very excited about how all the little details are coming together!

My initial inspiration came from Kelly over at The Party Dress. She posted photos of an adorable, whimsical child's Christmas party using reds, greens and aquas. If you know me, you know I'm a sucker for aqua, so I loved this color palette! I decided to go for a playful but modern layout with red, green, white and aqua. 

When I plan a party, I like to start with one or two core “inspiration pieces”. That gets me going in the right direction and then I’m able to add in other pieces and details that make sense along the way. For this Christmas cookie party, I found a roll of wrapping paper and gift bags that had all the colors I wanted to incorporate…so that became my starting point. Next, I found some red and green feather boas at the dollar store and knew they would be the perfect whimsical addition to this décor. With my wrapping paper and boas in hand, I sat down to sketch out the party. Just so you know that you don’t have to have ANY artistic ability to sketch a party, here’s my drawing…VERY basic, but it gives me a sense of how things will layer, what details I need to develop further, etc. I use this sketch to create a more detailed “To Do” list as well as a budget and then I get started!

My first project was to make pennant banners for the main food table backdrop. Since I had already found wrapping paper and gift bags that had the exact colors I wanted, I decided to use them for the banner. This is a cheap and easy way to create a coordinated, professional look without spending tons of money on the actual pieces. Here’s how I made the custom banner…


I used scrap pieces of cardstock to cut out my pennant shapes, then glued them to the backs of the wrapping paper and gift bags.
Once the glue dried (almost immediately!), I cut out the pennants and re-punched the holes.



Final step was to string them on a piece of ribbon. So simple, but so cute!


I'll also be using this wrapping paper for over-sized gifts on the food table and drink wraps. More photos of the whole event coming soon!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved